It’s that time of year again and we’re off and racing! The Spring Carnival kicks off for us at the Becks Caulfield Guineas last Saturday and Caulfield Racecourse in Melbourne. The weather was just perfect and we knew that the ladies and gents would be out in fine form, draped in their finest racing fashion to vie for the fantastic prizes which were on offer.
Racing Fashion at the Chadstone Fashion Stakes in Caulfield 2014
The number of contestants seemed a bit low in comparison to previous years and some of the serial Fashions on The Field entrants were nowhere to be seen. It turns out that the state finals for the Fashions on The Field was being competed in Sydney on the same day! Believe it or not, Fashions on The Field goes beyond a hobby for some – it’s an addiction. Chasing that elusive sash (given to the national winner on Oaks Day at Flemington Racecourse) has meant hopping over to other states to compete, in the hopes of securing them a place in the national finals.
Numbers did not matter as the racing fashion standard was still set quite high. At the Becks Caulfield Guineas 2014, the winners of the 40’s and over competition and the gentlemen’s competition were fought and won. Four more lovely ladies from the under 40’s category proceeded through to the final which will be held next week on Caulfield Cup day. Congratulations to all those beautifully dressed winners.
We were very excited to hear that Nicole Warne from the Gary Pepper Girl blog was the Style Ambassader for the Caulfield Cup Carnival. Unfortunately, she was nowhere to be found on Caulfield Guineas Day. Guess we’ll have to return next week to catch her at the Caulfield Cup along with a whole lot more Fashions on The Field entrants in their gorgeous racing fashion.
Fashion at the Melbourne races
The Spring Carnival sets the scene for some amazing racing fashion. We just love roaming around amongst it all and capturing race-goers who are enjoying being able to let their hair down and immersing themselves in the racing atmosphere. Our favourite images are of those who were unsuspecting subjects. We do also love snapping away at the beautifully dressed people to share with you so that you can keep up with what’s in in the racing fashion scene.
Some of you may find inspiration here for your own outfits. Some of you may not be able to make it at all to the races but love to see the frivolities. We at Fabulous Femme want you to see the best images that we can produce at these events. For us, it’s more about quality than quantity. We want to capture ‘in the moment’ images which we feel will portray the fun of the races in the best way possible.
[big_text]Most importantly for all – wear a smile! It’s the best accessory that anyone could wear![/big_text]
Enjoy the images and make to scroll to the end to find some of the 2014 trends and the link to even more images. Enjoy 🙂
Trends Of Racing Fashion 2014
For the Ladies
- Graphic prints stood out and won Lisa Wellings a whole load of prizes as she was announced the winner of the 40’s and over category. Floral prints still showed a strong presence.
- Full midi skirts were very popular alongside pencil skirts
- Peplums are in for yet another season!
- Flounce skirts add a flirty touch.
- Crowns, perchers, veils, silk flowers and sun visors seem to be fashionable favourites for head wear. The classic large hat has gone into hibernation!
- Pastels are also a winning look at the Fashions on the Field in 2014.
For the Gentlemen
- Details finish the look off nicely. Some gentleman carried an umbrella or walking stick as an accessory. A pair of antique binoculars has also been used as an accessory item.
- Go for a splash of colour. A bright tie will lift your look. Compliment the colour of your tie with the same coloured pocket square (the handkerchief which sticks out of your pocket)
- The winning colours have normally been the classic grey tones so stick to those if you want to be in contention for the big prize in the Fashions on The Field competition. If you’re just out there to have fun, we love seeing men in colour and prints!
- Wear a classic hat. The band around the hat does not have to match your tie but should compliment the overall look. Straw or felt is ok all year long for the gentleman.
More racing fashion pictures
Not enough images of beautiful racing fashion? Fine some more images of the Chadstone Fashion Stakes here. Have a look at many more racing fashion, outfits, dresses, millinery, impressions and ideas from the the Caulfield Guineas Day – Chadstone Fashion Stakes in Melbourne 2014. And don’t forget to have a look at our blog posts from last season.
Enter the Fashions on the Field
You still have a chance to enter the Fashions on the Field Competitions in 2014 at Caulfield, Melbourne. Put on your favourite and most stylish racing fashion outfit and enter on:
Saturday 18 October 2014 – Crown Golden Ale Caulfield Cup Day – Stylish Ladies 18-40
Registrations open from 11.00am – 1.00pm (Caulfield, Melbourne)
Amazing prizes are to be won – such as a 2015 Royal Ascot Tour or a trip Cable Beach Club in Western Australia. It’s a highlight on Australia’s racing fashion calendar. Meet lots of fashinistas, designers and milliners. And never forget: Millinery is mandatory! You can find some tips here – How to win the Fashions on the Field.